Why was Ostro™ Project created?
Most OS solutions available today are a force-fit for IoT. In fact, over 90% of the existing distributions are not optimized for IoT development. As open source adoption for IoT devices grows, Ostro Project can help simplify the development process.
What value does the Ostro Project provide?
The Ostro OS is adaptable. It is usable as-is on supported devices right out-of-the-box, but it is also highly customizable if need be. The development environment will appeal to a more diverse set of developers because it provides a choice of languages: Native (C/C++) and Node.js. New device drivers can be easily found and all resources from the Linux* community can be leveraged. Finally, it provides top to bottom security options from boot/kernel to middleware and application. Ostro Project was designed with security in mind.
How does the Ostro Project support IoT specifically?
Ostro Project includes key IoT features:
- Connectivity Standards: easily connect your product to the widest array of IoT devices e.g. from sensors to gateways to cloud
- Security: Integration of security features for all device sizes
- A Sensor Framework: advanced sensor support for the smallest to the largest devices
- Device Management: includes the capability of integrating device provisioning over the air – securely and reliably
Who will want to use Ostro Project?
Product developers who need:
- a mature Linux OS
- open source
- a fast means to a functional prototype
- to reduce cost and accelerate TTM
- to make IoT devices “smarter”
- to leverage the full performance of their platform from a rich environment
- rich connectivity, security and interconnectivity features
- cross architecture support
What product industries will Ostro Project support?
Some examples are :
- Industrial and Military
- Office/ Office Productivity
- Medical / Health Care
What are the basics of the Ostro OS Architecture?
- Based on standard libraries and services
- No “port required” for existing solutions
- Frameworks to help with best practices and common IoT use cases
- Pre-compiled, configured and secured for IoT
- Unused components can be removed
- Base to easily create custom images
How does security work in Ostro Project?
Ostro Project is built on modern security concepts such as Mandatory Access Control, containers, namespaces and overlays. Ostro OS comes pre-configured with certain security features by default. However, it does not mandate which security you must use in your products. All components are optional so you can pick the best balance of protection and performance.
What network layers are supported in Ostro Project?
Ostro Project comes with a wide range of network protocols at various layers of the Linux stack. Products can easily select what is needed from the kernel configuration up to each daemon via powerful Yocto Project tools.
How is software distribution supported in Ostro Project?
Ostro Project leverages the Clear Linux* Project for Intel® Architecture software distribution system and concepts. The whole system software is tagged with a single version and delivered by a single stream. This guarantees software that is known to work: no broken dependencies, missing symbols or incorrect ABI. Software may be grouped by its purpose into bundles. Bundles can be pre-installed in an image or may be added and removed from a deployed image.
Bundles specify all the files they need; there is no need to specify dependencies or need to resolve conflicts. Managed files are immutable and they can be shared across multiple bundles. They can be verified and fixed at any time. Per-file updates with optimized pack delivery allow efficiency and reduce down-time: just the updated services need to be restarted and no reboot if forced on every update.